The Wendouree-Ballarat Rowing Club is Indebted to the Wendouree Permanent Building society for their help in the publication of this book.
The President and Committee of the Wendouree Ballarat Rowing Club gratefully acknowledge the time and effort of our life member and long serving past President, Mr. Jack Barnett, who compiled the history of the Wendouree Rowing Club.
An indignation meeting of the Ballarat Rowing Club was called on account of certain members of the Club not having paid their annual subscriptions for many years, and it was at this meeting that the dissatisfied members decided to sever their connections with the old Club and form a new c1uh together. The first meeting was held on October 15th. 1883. at "The Nag's Head" Hotel in Armstrong Street South. and on the motion of Mr. Frampton. it was decided that the name of the new club be Wendouree.
The then Mayor of the City, John Hickman. was elected first President. Vice Presidents: Major Smith, J. G. McDonald. W. H. Hennah; Captain: H. Oxlade; Vice Captain: H. Whitelaw; Secretary-Treasurer: O. E. Wilson; Committee: Messrs. J. McDonald, F. McGeary, C. P. Bennett, J. Murray, G. Robertson.
G. Armstrong, R. Chinnery. D. Mann.
The Committee at that time were handicapped by not having a boat shed. so Mayor Hickman offered for £40. the shed used by the Union Foundry for housing their Screw Steamer. an offer the Committee gladly accepted.
Many obstacles were overcome by those pioneers who worked hard to make their Clubhouse comfortable, and at the same time laid a foundation in the Rowing world that was soon to make your Club one of the foremost in the Colony.